Financial Principles and Decision-Making is a lecture series created by Dr Boyce Watkins. In this program, you will learn the key concepts that can be applied to help you make sound and solid financial decisions.
This program answers, but it not limited to, the following topics:
- What is the financial Time Machine?
- How do I choose between lump sums and long-term payments?
- Do I pay off my student loans before I start investing or start my business?
- Do I fix my credit before I start investing and building my business?
- Should I sell my stock to start my business or buy a house?
- When should I sell the stock I’ve bought?
- How do I figure out the value of my brand or business?
- Should I borrow against my 401k to start a business?
- Where do stock prices come from?
- What variables move stock prices up and down?
You can complete the entire course within one weekend and you can have the materials for the rest of your life. Dr Boyce Watkins, who has a PhD in Finance, breaks down complex financial topics in ways that can be understood by a child. After this class, you will walk away much more confident in all aspects of economic decision-making.
I love to learn. I love to teach.. I never presume that I know everything, since the key to knowledge is understanding how little you actually know. But my goal is to give information, insights and perspectives that allow you to broaden your thinking and to realize all that is possible.
My PhD is in Finance, which I obtained from The Ohio State University. My masters degrees are in Mathematics and Statistics, which I earned at The University of Kentucky. I also received BA and BS degrees with a triple major in Finance, Economics and Business Management from The University of Kentucky.
I have been on the faculty at Syracuse University since 2001. Before that, I taught classes at The University of Rochester, The Ohio State University, Indiana University and The University of Kentucky. I've been teaching at the college level since I was 22 years old, and have mostly taught classes in Mathematics, Economics, Statistics and Finance.
I am the author of the following books: "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about College," "What if George Bush were a Black Man?", "Financial Lovemaking 101: Merging Assets with Your Partner in Ways that Feel Good," and "Black American Money."
Finally, I am the founder of the Your Black World Coalition, an organization and independent media outlet with over half a million subscribers worldwide. We have played a role in confronting destructive hip-hop music, and have also led campaigns on various civil rights issues in the African American community.